8 large baking potatoes, scrubbed with skin on, and holes poked with fork for baking
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, brought to room temperature
¼ cup skim milk
1-3 tablespoons horseradish
Salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Bake potatoes in regular oven 45 to 60 minutes, or until fork-tender (microwave baking does not leave the skin “crisp” enough for twice-baked potatoes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and let cool slightly, just so you can handle them comfortably.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove part of the flesh, leaving a little of it on the skin for stability.
- Place all potato flesh in a microwave-safe bowl. Add cream cheese, skim milk, horseradish to taste, salt and pepper to taste, and 2 ounces of cheddar cheese. Heat so that all ingredients are warm (potatoes mash better when warm).
- Whip warm potato mixture with electric mixer, in food processor, or by hand if needed.
- Using a spoon, stuff cheese-potato mixture into potato shells, using the entire mixture.
- Lay stuffed potato shells on a cookie sheet or in a 9 x 12 cake pan lined with foil, close together so they support each other and stand up.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over the surface.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until cheese bubbles.
Nutritional information (per serving)
One serving: 1 potato half
Makes 16 servings
Fat: 5.2 g
Saturated fat: 3.2 g
Protein: 7.1 g
Carbohydrates: 7.11 g
Fiber: 1.5 g
Sodium: 161 mg
Source: Recipe developed and copyrighted by Kristine Napier, MPH, RD, LD
Reprinted with permission from Nutrio.com
Ads Links by Easy Branches