- Frazer Harrison/Getty/Rich Fury/Getty Images
- Joaquin Phoenix won Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role at the 2020 SAG Awards.
- The “Joker” star thanked each of his fellow nominees, including Leonardo DiCaprio who was nominated for his role in “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.”
- He recalled losing out to DiCaprio as a young actor – “no actor would ever say his name.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
In his acceptance speech, Phoenix took the time to individually praise each of his fellow nominees and their respective performances – Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Adam Driver and Taron Egerton.
Phoenix recalled that as a young actor, he and fellow peers would always lose out on roles to the same person.
- Sony Pictures
“There would always be like two other guys that I was up against and we’d always lose to this one kid,” said Phoenix of DiCaprio, who was nominated for “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.”
“No actor would ever say his name. Like every casting director would say: [whispering] ‘It’s Leonardo, it’s Leonardo!’ You’ve been an inspiration for over 25 years to me and so many people, I thank you very, very, very much.”
Of Bale, who starred in”Ford vs Ferrari,” Phoenix said “you commit to roles in a way that I can only dream of.
“You never turn in a bad performance. It’s infuriating. I wish you would, just one time, just suck once, ok?”
- Photo/Chris Pizzello
Phoenix, who is now a four-time Oscar-nominee, told Driver he’d been watching him for the last few years and is a huge fan of his work, calling his “Marriage Story” performance “beautiful, nuanced, incredible [and] profound.”
Finally, Phoenix said he can’t to see what else Egerton does, saying his performance as Elton John in “Rocketman” was “beautiful.”
Watch the full video below: