2019’s top headline phrases: From “POFMA” to “Malu apa, bossku”
Andy Ruiz Jr. says he lost his world titles to Anthony Joshua because he was undertrained, overweight, and partied for three months.
Ruiz Jr. shook up the boxing world when he dropped Joshua four times en route to a convincing, dominant, seventh round victory at Madison Square Garden in New York City in June.
However, the 30-year-old failed to defend the world titles he won from Joshua earlier this year, as he lost them straight away, being defeated by a lopsided 12-round decision in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia on Saturday, December 7.
“Me, my dad, and my team were talking … I should have listened to them,” Ruiz Jr. said at the post-fight press conference.
“I think we started [training] too late. Three months of partying, celebrating, affected me. What can I say.
“I shouldn’t have put on all this weight. I tried to do my kind of training on my own and I’m sorry to [trainer] Manny [Robles], my dad, I got too confident in myself.”
Ruiz Jr. recognized that he lost a wide decision to Joshua, but said he holds a victory, too. For Ruiz Jr. the scores are tied with one win apiece, and he wants a trilogy bout. “I know for the third one I’m going to be a lot better.”
He added: “There’s a lot of responsibility being a champion of the world. I think the partying and all that stuff got the best of me. Next time it’ll be a lot better.”
President Donald Trump’s appointee to run the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services requested that taxpayers cover roughly $47,000 worth of jewelry and other items that were stolen from her while she traveled for work, Politico reported Saturday evening.
The appointee, Seema Verma, reportedly had her luggage stolen from a rented SUV in July 2018 during a trip to San Francisco, where she gave a speech.
Among the items Verma sought reimbursement for were some two dozen pieces of jewelry appraised at $43,065, $2,000 worth of clothes, a $325 moisturizer, $349 noise-cancelling headphones, and an Ivanka Trump-brand pendant valued at $5,900 and made of gold, prasiolite, and diamonds, according to Politico.
Verma reportedly wrote in her claim that none of the jewelry was insured, and that she had had the items appraised by a jeweler several weeks after the theft.
A spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services told Politico it was “perfectly appropriate” and not unusual for Verma to file such a claim for stolen property.
“When paying for such goods, the department pays a discounted rate based on age for the items that were lost,” the spokesperson said. “It’s perfectly appropriate that the administrator filed a personal property loss claim for goods stolen while on work travel and this is not an unusual practice for federal employees.”
Regardless, the department only reimbursed her $2,852.40 for the luxury items, the spokesperson told Politico.
The Saudi national who fatally shot three people at a Florida naval base on Friday bought his gun legally even though so-called “nonimmigrant aliens” are not typically allowed to do so, NBC News reported Saturday.
The gunman, whom news outlets have identified as Mohammed Said Alshamrani, was a second lieutenant in the Saudi Air Force who was in the US as an aviation student.
Though non-citizens who hold US visas are typically barred from buying guns, NBC News reported that he exploited a loophole that allowed him to purchase one legally.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives says anyone admitted to the US under a nonimmigrant visa is typically “prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition,” but there are exceptions for those with a valid hunting license or permit, and those who were admitted for “lawful hunting or sporting purposes.”
NBC News cited sources that said the shooter had such a license and bought his weapon from a dealer in Pensacola.
The Washington Post also highlighted another ATF regulation allowing non-citizens to possess firearms if they’re from “a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.”
US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Saturday he could not confirm whether the attack was an act of terrorism, and that investigators needed to continue working to determine the motive.
Yet a number of disturbing details have come to light since the shooting, including that the gunman reportedly hosted a dinner party not long before the attack, in which the guests watched mass shooting videos.
The SITE Intel Group also conducted an analysis of what is believed to be the shooter’s Twitter page, which reportedly featured anti-American posts and echoed Osama Bin Laden.