London GP Manish Shah found guilty of string of sexual offences against patients | A GP who cited the cases of Angelina Jolie and Jade Goody to instill fear in his patients is facing jail for molesting 23 female patients. Dr Manish S

London GP Manish Shah found guilty of string of sexual offences against patients

London GP Manish Shah found guilty of string of sexual offences against patients

London GP Manish Shah found guilty of string of sexual offences against patients

London GP Manish Shah found guilty of string of sexual offences against patients

London GP Manish Shah found guilty of string of sexual offences against patients

London GP Manish Shah found guilty of string of sexual offences against patients
London GP Manish Shah found guilty of string of sexual offences against patients
  • By: standard.co.uk
  • Views 7,547
0
Shared

A GP who cited the cases of Angelina Jolie and Jade Goody to instill fear in his patients is facing jail for molesting 23 female patients.

Dr Manish Shah preyed on cancer concerns to persuade patients as young as 11 to undergo unnecessary intimate examinations for his own sexual gratification, the Old Bailey heard.

Over five years, between May 2009 and June 2013, he assaulted six patients of the Mawney Medical Centre, the court was told.

Shah, 50, of Romford, east London, denied wrongdoing, claiming he had been practising “defensive medicine”.

But following an Old Bailey trial, he was found guilty of 25 sexual offences against the six victims.

The jury was told Shah has already been convicted of similar allegations relating to 17 other women, bringing the total number to 23.

Shah looking down at his lap in the dock as the jury delivered majority verdicts after 26 hours of deliberations.

Judge Anne Molyneux adjourned sentencing for all the offences until February 7.

Prosecutor Kate Bex QC told jurors that Shah played on the women’s fear of cancer to consent to examinations, but without being properly informed.

Some of the victims were particularly vulnerable because of their young age or because of their family history of the disease.

Ms Bex said: “Fear is an incredible motivator and few health concerns are scarier than cancer. Dr Shah exploited that and used it for his own personal gratification.”

Shah brought up the news story about Hollywood star Jolie having a preventative mastectomy as he asked a woman if she would like him to examine her breasts.

He also mentioned Goody to another woman, saying an examination was in her best interests, it was claimed.

Ms Bex told jurors that one theme of the case was the defendant’s “sexualised” behaviour.

He would give patients hugs and kisses, singling some out as “special” and his “star”, saying he had a soft spot for them.

He would not always wear gloves and left one patient entirely naked on an examination table, jurors heard.

Shah attempted to justify an examination in medical notes by suggesting it was “requested”, the court heard.

He flouted NHS guidelines on giving healthy women under 25 smear tests and routine breast examinations on women under 50, which were said to cause more harm than good, Ms Bex told jurors.

He also breached guidelines on the use of chaperones during intimate examinations.

Shah denied wrongdoing and his barrister Zoe Johnson QC told jurors he was a “cautious, insecure, perhaps at times incompetent GP”.

The fact of Shah’s previous conviction did not necessarily make for a case of “once a sex offender always a sex offender”, Ms Johnson argued.

Reporting by Press Association. 

 

Subscribe to on Apple PodcastsSpotifyAcast or your chosen podcast provider. New episodes every weekday from 4pm.

Fraudster changed his name to ‘Mr Irish Dog Foods’ to cash £18,000 cheque

Fraudster changed his name to ‘Mr Irish Dog Foods’ to cash £18,000 cheque

A fraudster changed his name to Mr Irish Dog Foods in order to cash a stolen cheque, a court heard.

Money mules Evariste Luteke, 54, Marlon Aghostinho, 27, Antoinette Kalunga, 32 and George Sourou, 23, all helped launder missing cheques made out by supermarket Aldi to various suppliers.

Essex estate agent Sourou changed his name to Mr Irish Dog Foods before receiving a cheque for £17,833 and making a series of cash withdrawals.

When he was arrested police found a number of documents bearing the same bogus name.

Only £9,995 of the money was eventually recovered.

Inner London Crown Court heard how Aghostinho, from Tottenham, changed his bank account name to Mr Biscuits Leclerk in May 2016 and dispersed a total of £18,000.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Healthcare support worker Kalunga, from Enfield, changed her account name to Kordis Ltd on May 5 and banked £29,950 which was similarly quickly transferred and withdrawn.

She again changed her account name using forged papers, this time to Shaper Haggart, but the cheque was blocked before a second payment could be received.

Prosecutor Jonathan Gold said: ‘All the offences were committed against HSBC bank who provided banking services to Aldi.

‘Theft of cheques made out by Aldi to its suppliers, then put in accounts set up by the defendants for taking the funds.

‘Mr Luteke’s offences concerns German food supplier Copack Tiefkuhlkost Ltd.

‘They supply Aldi with foods and Aldi pay them.

‘The cheque had not been received by the supplier, HSBC looked and saw that had been put in a Barclays business account.

‘The account was in the name of Mr Luteke trading as Copack Tiefkuhlkost Ltd.

‘He had set up an account in the same name so that when Aldi issued the cheque it could be stolen and put into his.

‘£28,000 was stolen and by the time Barclays froze the account only £10,000 was left.’

Mature student and father-of-three Luteke, from Croydon also had a business account which was used to transfer another £20,000 which was never recovered.

All four admitted entering into a money laundering arrangement and acquiring criminal property.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Sourou was responsible for losses totalling £7,926, Aghostinho £17,950, Kalunga £27,950 and Luteke £37,197.

They were each handed six-month suspended sentences and ordered to carry out between 80 and 120 hours’ unpaid work.

Judge Samantha Crabb said: ‘You are all listed together for sentencing although I accept that there was no connection between you or operating together.

‘Each of your offences were committed against the same victim and headed by the same persons.

‘The offences followed on from the theft of cheques made by Aldi to various suppliers, paid into various accounts.

‘The money was dispersed in a variety of ways, I accept that you had no involvement in that.

‘However, your roles were pivotal in the removal of that money.’

Got a story for Metro.co.uk?

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. For more stories like this, check our news page.

Winter Wonderland bouncers kick teen boy in the head after mass brawl

Winter Wonderland bouncers kick teen boy in the head after mass brawl

A bouncer has been sacked and another suspended after video emerged of a boy being kicked in the head at Winter Wonderland.

The boy can be seen on the ground as one member of security staff kicks him twice, and another punches him.

Two teens are in the video grappling with bouncers on Sunday night at the festival in London’s Hyde Park.

One of them, wearing a white coat, is wrestled to the ground and attacked by men in high-vis jackets.

A Hyde Park Winter Wonderland spokesperson said: ‘We are aware of an incident that took place on Sunday evening, which saw members of the security team respond.

‘Whilst handling this security issue, members of the security team acted inappropriately.

‘A full investigation is underway and a security team member has been released from his post. Another has been suspended.’

Advertisement
Advertisement

It happened on the same night a brawl broke out at the event.

The Metropolitan Police say three people were arrested for public order offences at the popular Christmas attraction on Sunday but it is not known if they involved in the fight.

It is thought the brawl broke out as people queued to get into the main beer hall of Winter Wonderland’s Bavarian Village.

Footage from the scene shows security guards in high-vis vests forming a human chain in an attempt to break up the brawl.

Screams could be heard in the background as two men rapidly traded blows, with one getting his opponent in a headlock.

But others appeared to revel in the violence, as a video shared on social media shows a man jumping up and down with excitement.

Someone shouts as someone else shouts ‘Don’t punch the head’ as people circle around the pair to watch the fight.

An onlooker said massive crowd had gathered outside as the beer hall had been shut for an hour and was just re-opening.

People on social media condemned the ‘thuggish-low life behaviour’ and said the venue had become ‘unsafe for children’.

Got a story for Metro.co.uk?

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. For more stories like this, check our news page.

Harley Watson, 12, died from 'severe head injury' after hit-and-run outside Essex school, inquest hears

Harley Watson, 12, died from 'severe head injury' after hit-and-run outside Essex school, inquest hears

A 12-year-old boy died from a severe head injury after a hit-and-run outside his school in Essex, an inquest has heard.

Harley Watson died in hospital after a vehicle ploughed into children who were leaving Debden Park High School in Loughton, earlier this month.

Essex coroner's officer Lynsey Chaffe, speaking at the opening of an inquest into Harley's death, said he was struck by a vehicle in Willingale Road.

"He was immediately conveyed to Whipps Cross Hospital where his death was confirmed at 4.43pm," said Ms Chaffe.

A post-mortem examination conducted at St Thomas' Hospital on December 6 gave Harley's provisional medical cause of death as a severe head injury, she said.

The two-minute hearing in Chelmsford was adjourned until a date to be fixed.

Essex senior coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray said: "Please could the court's sympathy be expressed to Harley's family at this very difficult time."

A 51-year-old man has been charged with murder over the incident, which happened shortly before 3.20pm on Decemeber 2.

Terence Glover, of Newmans Lane, Loughton, is also charged with the attempted murder of a woman and nine children and of driving a Ford Ka dangerously in Willingale Road, Loughton.

The attempted murder charges relate to 23-year-old Raquel Jimeno and six boys and three girls aged between 12 and 16 who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Glover has been remanded in custody and is next due to appear before Chelmsford Crown Court for a plea hearing on January 31.

Harley's family said in a statement released through Essex Police that they were "devastated by what has happened" and described him as a "good, kind, helpful and lovely boy".

Scores of well-wishers have donated to a GoFundMe.com fundraising page in his memory.

Reporting by PA Media

 

Subscribe to on Apple PodcastsSpotifyAcast or your chosen podcast provider. New episodes every weekday from 4pm.

ADVERTISING
ADVERTISING

Easy Branches Global Network allows You to share Your post within our Network in any Continent or Country on the Global

Your Post
boatshowchina expolifestyle.com