Orpington crash: 'Horrific' bus collision that killed one and injured 15 'shook ground', say witnesses | A man was killed and 15 other people injured in a horror bus smash that witnesses said “shook the ground”.   Firefighters had to rescue passengers fro

Orpington crash: 'Horrific' bus collision that killed one and injured 15 'shook ground', say witnesses

Orpington crash: 'Horrific' bus collision that killed one and injured 15 'shook ground', say witnesses

Orpington crash: 'Horrific' bus collision that killed one and injured 15 'shook ground', say witnesses

Orpington crash: 'Horrific' bus collision that killed one and injured 15 'shook ground', say witnesses

Orpington crash: 'Horrific' bus collision that killed one and injured 15 'shook ground', say witnesses

Orpington crash: 'Horrific' bus collision that killed one and injured 15 'shook ground', say witnesses
Orpington crash: 'Horrific' bus collision that killed one and injured 15 'shook ground', say witnesses
  • By: standard.co.uk
  • Views 2
0
Shared

A man was killed and 15 other people injured in a horror bus smash that witnesses said “shook the ground”.  

Firefighters had to rescue passengers from the wreckage following the crash in Orpington, south-east London, shortly before 10.15pm last night. 

Two single-decker buses and a car were involved in the collision on Sevenoaks Road, which left wreckage strewn over a large area. A man was later pronounced dead at the scene. It was unclear whether he had been on board any of the vehicles. 

Police arrested the driver of the mangled car on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. He was being questioned by police in custody.

Residents today told how they ran from their homes to help the wounded after hearing the crash, which left one bus badly damaged.

A 51-year-old builder living close to the scene said: “It sounded like an explosion, the ground shook. I got there and the bus was ripped open and there were bodies everywhere.

 

"I went to see what I could do to help. My neighbour was with the bus driver who looked in a bad way.

“There are always crashes on this road, people come round way too fast, but this one was awful.”

A teenage girl sitting behind the driver suffered a severe head wound, neighbours said. Judi Johnson, 53, said her husband ran out to comfort the victim.

“She had been watching a film on her phone so luckily didn’t see what happened,” she said. “She kept asking him ‘is my head alright?’ and he said yes it’s alright it’s just cut but it was quite bad. There was a lot of blood.”

Witness Mark Jeffries told The Sun the buses had been travelling in opposite directions.

He said: “It was really horrific — the buses collided and then the car drove through the middle of them. One person was thrown through the window on one of the buses and it looked like people on the pavement were hit.”

The London Ambulance Service said 15 patients were taken to hospital and 10 ambulance crews were at the scene.

London Fire Brigade assistant commissioner Graham Ellis said six fire engines and 60 firefighters were dispatched. “Firefighters rescued several casualties from the buses and immediately undertook first aid.”

A large cordon remained in place as engineers work to clear the wreckage of one of the buses that mounted the pavement, its front door ripped open.

Conor McGregor pleads guilty to Dublin pub assault as UFC star is fined £860

Conor McGregor pleads guilty to Dublin pub assault as UFC star is fined £860

UFC fighter Conor McGregor has been fined £860 after pleading guilty to assaulting a man at a pub in Dublin. 

The 31-year-old entered a guilty plea on Friday at Dublin District Court and was released after apologising to his victim. 

The victim, Desmond Keogh, was paid compensation by McGregor, but the amount was not disclosed in court. 

Mr Keogh, who did not want to give a victim impact statement, said in a letter to the court that he accepted McGregor's apology.

McGregor, an Irish mixed martial arts fighter, was fined 1,000 euros.

CCTV footage of the incident was played to the court.

He was charged in a separate case in April 2018 with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after police said he attacked a charter bus in New York carrying UFC fighters.

He pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct charge in that case. 

On Friday, McGregor’s solicitor Michael Staines said that his client accepted what he did was wrong and fully accepts the incident.

He told the court that the victim did not suffer any physical injury.

McGregor stood up in the court to address the judge.

He said what he did was “very wrong” and that he would like to apologise to the victim and to the court.

“I assure you nothing of this nature will happen again,” the UFC fighter added.

Essex lorry deaths: Police begin work to bring suspect from Ireland to UK to face manslaughter charges

Essex lorry deaths: Police begin work to bring suspect from Ireland to UK to face manslaughter charges

Extradition proceedings a man from Ireland to the UK to face manslaughter charges over the Essex lorry deaths have begun. 

Essex Police has began proceedings to bring suspect Eamonn Harrison to the UK, who is a suspect after 39 people were found dead in a lorry container in Grays. 

Harrison, 22, appeared in Dublin High Court on Friday after he was arrested on a European Arrest Warrant, a court spokesman said.

A statement said: "A European Arrest Warrant has been executed in Dublin today, Friday 1 November, in connection with the Essex Police investigation in to the deaths of 39 people who were found in a lorry trailer in Grays last week.

"A 23-year-old man from Northern Ireland, is charged with 39 offences of manslaughter, as well as human trafficking and immigration offences.

"He has appeared before the High Court, Criminal Courts of Justice, Dublin, and remanded in custody. Essex Police has started extradition proceedings to bring him to the UK."

A statement from the Irish Garda confirmed the man was still in custody. 

It said: "On today's date 01 November 2019 An Garda Siochana have arrested a 23-year-old male on foot of an European Arrest Warrant issued by Essex Police.

"This male has appeared before the High Court, Criminal Courts of Justice, Dublin and has been remanded in custody.

"The male continues to be remanded in custody from the District Court in respect of an offence in this jurisdiction.

"An Garda Siochana continues to assist Essex Police in this investigation."

It comes as local media reported police in Vietnam's Ha Tinh province arrested two people in connection with the deaths after launching an investigation into suspected human trafficking.

Meanwhile, it is understood wanted suspect Ronan Hughes, 40, has twice spoken to police by telephone.

Detectives have urged him and his brother Christopher, 34, who are both from Armagh in Northern Ireland, to hand themselves in.

The pair are wanted on suspicion of manslaughter and human trafficking after the bodies of eight women and 31 men were found in a refrigerated trailer attached to a lorry in an industrial park in Grays in the early hours of Wednesday October 23.

Ronan Hughes is understood to have identified himself to a custody officer after calling Essex Police shortly after lorry driver Mo Robinson, 25, was arrested following the discovery.

A Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) detective later called Hughes and had a conversation with him, it is understood.

Essex Police Detective Chief Inspector Daniel Stoten told reporters at a press conference in Northern Ireland on Friday: "Today I want to make a direct appeal - Ronan and Christopher, hand yourselves in to the PSNI.

"We need you both to come forward and assist this investigation.

"Although we have already spoken to Ronan Hughes recently by telephone, we need to have a conversation with him and his brother in person.

"Talking to Ronan and Christopher is crucial to our investigation and the sooner we can make this happen the sooner we can progress and continue with our investigation."

The detective said a lorry believed to be connected to the brothers was stopped and seized by the PSNI on Thursday but no further arrests were made.

They are said to have links to Ireland and Northern Ireland, as well as with the road haulage and shipping industries.

Ronan Hughes is understood to have identified himself to a custody officer after calling Essex Police shortly after lorry driver Mo Robinson, 25, was arrested following the discovery.

Robinson, of Craigavon, Northern Ireland, appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court on Monday charged with 39 counts of manslaughter, conspiracy to traffic people, conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration and money laundering.

Three other people arrested in connection with the incident - two men aged 38 and 46 and a 38-year-old woman - have been released on bail.

The discovery has sparked a huge international investigation to try to identify the victims.

Essex Police initially believed the 39 were all Chinese nationals but it is now thought Vietnamese men and women are among the dead.

It is not yet known when the victims entered the trailer, where temperatures can be as low as -25C if the fridge is activated, or the exact route it travelled before crossing from Zeebrugge in Belgium to Purfleet.

Hidden cameras found in north London primary school toilets 'had been there for five years', parents told

Hidden cameras found in north London primary school toilets 'had been there for five years', parents told

A north London primary school had hidden cameras in its toilets for five years, parents have been told in a letter.

The concealed cameras were discovered facing wash basins in the children's toilets of Duncombe Primary School on Sussex Way, Upper Holloway, over the summer holidays.

But parents were only recently informed about the incident following a letter from the school's chair of governors, Douglas Cowie.

The letter said the cameras had been there since April 2014, but had only been disconnected in summer 2019 when new headteacher Helen Ryan was made aware of their existence.

She "immediately" took action and informed police who then launched a criminal investigation, Mr Cowie said in the letter, which has been shared on Facebook.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed it was contacted on August 2 and a man in his 60s was interviewed under caution.

"During the course of the investigation, no evidence of voyeurism or any other offences were disclosed, or found to have taken place," the Met said, adding that the case has been closed.

The police investigation established that images recorded on the cameras had been deleted, Mr Cowie said.

The matter was also referred to the Information Commissioner's Office which confirmed to the school on Friday October 18 that a data breach had taken place, Mr Cowie said.

Mr Cowie continued: "The school has undertaken further external scrutiny from the local authority and an audit by the borough's data protection officer confirmed that Duncombe's data protection now complies with legal expectations.​"

Duncombe Primary School has been contacted for comment.

ADVERTISING
ADVERTISING

Easy Branches Global Network allows You to share Your post within our Network in any Continent or Country on the Global

Your Post
boatshowchina expolifestyle.com